Monday, August 30, 2010

Lizard Lunch!




Last night going to better, Keira told me that she was going to be really good at school today because she wanted to go for a "lizard lunch" after I picked her up. the "lizard lunch" is referring to a restaurant near us that serves kids drinks with plastic animals on top. Last time we went, Keira got a lizard and thus the term lizard lunch.
Well, I watched the clock all morning until 10:45 (Keira was done at 11:30 and it is only 10 minutes from my office to the school). At 10:45, I headed over to school because I wanted to be at the front of the carpool pick-up so Keira didn't get nervous if she didn't see me. I got to school at 10:55 and was about 15 cars back in line! I hope it is only like this on the first day of school and not all year. Anyway, it turns out that the parents park and walk up to get the kids and the kids raise their hands when they see their parent. The kindergartens were the first to come out. Keira walked out holding the teachers hand so I was a little nervous to hear how the day went. As soon as I saw Keira, she was big smiles. I checked with the teacher and Mrs. Merrell said she only got a little teary at morning recess (probably not sure what to do without Mia) but she ended up playing with Savannah and had fun. From the walk to the car, the car ride to lunch and all through lunch, Keira was a chatterbox!!! She was so excited about school that she barely ate lunch but she did enjoy a shark attack (Spite with a plastic shark full of geradine syrup floating in it) and swamp water (a green juice mix with a frog on top). Keira wanted to try both so the swamp water was technically for me. Anyway, it was "we did this and we did this and ...". They mostly unloaded their school supplies, had a snack and morning recess and took a tour of the school. Keira will get gym class, music class, art class, Spanish class and computer class this year. Tomorrow is gym day and Keira is very excited for it!
When we got back to the house, Keira friend Mia and our neighbor Katie were over to find out how Keira's first day went. Carmen told me earlier that Mia wanted to come over so I told Keira on the drive home that Mia was nervous about going to kindergarten and wanted to see how her first day was. As soon as Keira got out of the car, "Mia - don't be nervous. Kindergarten is so much fun!" Of course, Keira hasn't realized yet that Mia doesn't need to wear a uniform.
All in all, today was a huge success. Keira did so much better that I had expected going in this morning. I knew once she got settled that she would be ok. My only other silly worry was about Keira managing to tuck her shirt back in and do her belt after going to the bathroom but she did great. Tomorrow is the first full day with lunch at school so I'm sure Keira will be exhausted afterward.
I can't believe how quickly my little girl has grown! I am so very proud of her!

No comments:

Post a Comment